Back from Hospital
Dennis
2012-09-10 05:40:38 UTC
Hello everyone! The Anafranil didn't work for me, in fact it drove me even
deeper into depression. My psych put me back onto Cymbalta for lack of
anything better to do, but I still had to put myself into the hospital.

I was there for a week. That's where I spent Hurricane Isaac, and I
recognized that it was about the best place to be when the storm passed
through. (It didn't do much to our house.)

They started me on Effexor XR, since I have done well on that in the past.
They also detected my Depakote blood levels, and found that they were
almost indetectable! Saying that I have problems absorbing the pill form,
they put me on liquid Depakote, and my levels came up some.

I take Depakote for depression and headaches; it can be effective for those
things, as well as seizures, which I don't have, thank God!

I've been out for a week now, and I'm feeling better, though I've got a
ways to go. I'm in a daytime program, partial hospitalization, which
helps.

More later,
Dennis
--
========== Please DELETE this text block when replying! ==========
Contact the moderators at: asapm-***@stump.algebra.com
========= This notice is added to each approved article ==========
Sheldon
2012-09-11 03:36:08 UTC
Post by Dennis
[...]
Looking forward to more good news.
Dennis

diana
2012-09-12 00:56:14 UTC
Dennis my love,
I hope things are going better, it will take some time.
let me know how you are.

love Diana
Dennis
2012-09-19 05:57:12 UTC
Post by diana
Dennis my love,
I hope things are going better, it will take some time.
let me know how you are.
love Diana
Thank you, Diana! Yes, it is taking some time, but I'm accepting that.
I'll certainly post here.

Yours, Dennis
Mary
2012-09-13 03:44:01 UTC
Post by Dennis
[...]
A daytime program can be a good thing, if its a good program. Is it a group
therapy? I went to a program something like that about 20 years ago but it
wasn't for anxiety, or at least I had no anxiety symptoms but I was under
tremendous stress at the time and my GP referred me to a psychatrist and he
told me to take off several weeks fom work. I was not in hospital. it was a
day program but had relaxation exercises, painting and group therapy and
talking to a social worker and occasionally a psychiatrist. I found the
social worker to be better to talk to than the psychiatrist. Some social
workers or psychologists or even GP's are very good to talk to and help you
more than psychiatrists. Anyone who makes you feel better and helps you is
the best person to talk to - but you don't always know what that is :) I
finally went back to work and I felt better. I hope you do too.

Mary
Dennis
2012-09-19 05:56:54 UTC
Post by Mary
Post by Dennis
[...]
It's a good program. It's group therapy with some individual meetings.
The groups are led by a nurse or social worker. We also meet with a
psychiatrist once a week, about our meds.

Most of the people are good to talk to, so I'm happy with it.

I've also realized that it's not just the meds, but my attitude and self-
talk too, and I'm learning how to do better with that. It definitely
helps! I'm also getting a lot more exercise than I was, another big
help.

Thanks,
Dennis
Mary
2012-09-19 21:05:21 UTC
Post by Dennis
Post by Mary
Post by Dennis
Post by Dennis
[...]
That sounds much like the program setup I was on. I went for about 6 or 8
weeks every day from about 9.30 to 2 or 3 pm and had lunch at the hospital.
I think I only saw the original psychiatrist who referred me to the program
a couple of times a month.
I found the social worker for individual meetings more helpful for me and I
wasn't taking meds so visits with the psychiatrist were quite short. There
was also group therapy which was semi helpful, but for me, individual
therapy was more helpful. There was also an assistant therapist who was
finishing her training. she was good. The gentle exercises to recordings
helped. It was summer and the hospital has nice grounds in a country-like
atmosphere so we used to have short walks around the hospital once a week.
The program was very relaxing where you could forget your everyday problems
for a while.
Post by Dennis
Most of the people are good to talk to, so I'm happy with it.
I've also realized that it's not just the meds, but my attitude and self-
talk too, and I'm learning how to do better with that. It definitely
helps! I'm also getting a lot more exercise than I was, another big
help.
The whole program will help you in different ways Dennis. You will like some
parts of the program better than others as we are all different. It helped
me at the time. I hope you will like it. Good luck.

Mary