Trouble Leaving The House
babs63ca
2011-07-05 22:03:07 UTC
I have a fear of leaving the house or being out bemyself. Does anyone have any ideas or tips how to get over this?

Barbara
--
========== Please DELETE this text block when replying! ==========
Contact the moderators at: asapm-***@stump.algebra.com
========= This notice is added to each approved article ==========
V*nessa
2011-07-07 12:09:44 UTC
Post by babs63ca
I have a fear of leaving the house or being out bemyself. Does anyone have
any ideas or tips how to get over this?
Barbara
Baby steps.

First goal is to go out on a short trip with someone to support you. This
will give you a positive experience. Take something to distract you.

Keep a journal of what your triggers are during your trip so it can help you
understand it better.

Each journey begins with one small step. As horrible as it may feel even
going out to the letter box is better than staying inside. The longer you
leave it the worse it will get. I know it's not easy but from personal
experience it does work slowly but surely.

Mary
2011-07-09 21:48:33 UTC
Post by V*nessa
Post by babs63ca
I have a fear of leaving the house or being out bemyself. Does anyone have
any ideas or tips how to get over this?
Barbara
Baby steps.
First goal is to go out on a short trip with someone to support you. This
will give you a positive experience. Take something to distract you.
Keep a journal of what your triggers are during your trip so it can help
you understand it better.
Each journey begins with one small step. As horrible as it may feel even
going out to the letter box is better than staying inside. The longer you
leave it the worse it will get. I know it's not easy but from personal
experience it does work slowly but surely.
Hi Vanessa, good you dropped by. Good advice. I guess in many cases its not
always possible to get someone to go outside with you especially if you are
on your own, but I am sure it helps a lot even if you can get someone to go
with you some of the time and as you say, it could help you a lot to get to
the first goal. Distractions can help if you can distract yourself quick
enough. Hope you are well. I am doing so-so. Some days better than others.
:)
Mary
V*nessa
2011-07-11 02:26:50 UTC
Post by Mary
Post by V*nessa
Post by babs63ca
[...]
Hi Mary
You've been through a lot so doing so-so is to be expected. Great that some
days are better. Yes i know it's not easy getting someone to support you but
if the OP can, then that's a great start. And yes distractions don't always
work quickly enough but they can at least get you one step ahead than the
day before.

V :)
Mary
2011-07-11 03:43:18 UTC
Post by V*nessa
Post by Mary
Post by V*nessa
Post by babs63ca
[...]
Hi Vanessa, I guess because I've had to go through most things by myself,
being a single mom and so on, plus all the losses I had within a short
period of time. Its different than having a husband or a significant other
for support. Support or lack of it, is one of the most important things in
life. It makes a huge difference. Luckily I have two grown up daughters
though they don't understand much about anxiety. But at least they are there
if I need them. One of them has teenage kids and works full time and lives a
bit out of town, but works not far from me. My younger daughter is married
has no kids, but does not drive, so I don't see her as much, but we email
quite a lot. I have a son but who lives about 350 miles away but he's not
the best to keep in contact. I manage most days. I have studied anxiety and
panic a great deal in the past few years which is helpful. I also have a
very good GP who has helped me a lot through the years. I see her quite
often. Luckily I don't have anxiety all the time or every day. I have
situational and anticipatory anxiety which comes and goes. For me,
distractions sometimes work and sometimes not. I don't pressure myself if it
doesn't always work. Whatever works for one person may not work for another.
:)
Mary