Online eyeglass lens replacement, actual good places?
Thor
2011-05-07 23:36:28 UTC
I am pretty much stuck in my little neighborhood for now, can't get to an eye
doctor.
I need new lenses, my prescription is fine as it is, and am looking at what the
web has to offer. Eyeglasslensdirect.com looks the most promising, about $45 or
so in my particular case.

Does anyone in the group use this type of service? Where do you go and what do
you think about the place you use? I am looking for people who actually use, not
the ones who have heard or read about.

Thor
--
========== Please DELETE this text block when replying! ==========
Contact the moderators at: asapm-***@stump.algebra.com
========= This notice is added to each approved article ==========
Dick Friesen
2011-05-11 03:03:41 UTC
Post by Thor
I am pretty much stuck in my little neighborhood for now, can't get to an eye
doctor.
I need new lenses, my prescription is fine as it is, and am looking at what the
web has to offer. Eyeglasslensdirect.com looks the most promising, about $45 or
so in my particular case.
Does anyone in the group use this type of service? Where do you go and what do
you think about the place you use? I am looking for people who actually use, not
the ones who have heard or read about.
Thor
I just got a pair from http://www.zennioptical.com/.

Ordered them on Saturday and got them in the mail the next Thursday all
the way from China.

Glasses were $6.95 and shipping was $9.95.

It was an 'experiment' purchase and now I am going to order a much nicer
pair with high index lenses and anti-glare coatings, etc.

So far so good...

DF
Mary
2011-05-11 04:22:44 UTC
Post by Dick Friesen
Post by Thor
[...]
At least they were cheap but can you see well enough with them? I wear
glasses but I need a prescription. How did you get glasses from China
without a prescription? How would you know what to order?

Mary
Dick Friesen
2011-05-13 01:18:50 UTC
Post by Mary
Post by Dick Friesen
Post by Thor
[...]
I did have a prescription. You fill out the parameters from your
prescription on the website including the distance between your pupils
which is best to have a friend measure for you.

The frame sizes with dimensions are also listed which helps in picking the
right frames.

The entire procedure is quite straightforward and is all described on the
website. You can even upload a picture of yourself and then put the frames
on your face to see how they look.

DF
Mary
2011-05-14 03:51:49 UTC
Post by Dick Friesen
Post by Mary
Post by Dick Friesen
Post by Thor
[...]
I would be afraid that the measurements and just getting the glasses to be
right for me wouldn't work out. I wouldn't know how to do these
measurements. My left eye is slightly weaker than my right eye, so I don't
know how that would work out. I don't need glasses right now. I use distance
glasses for driving and close-up for reading. I don't want bifocals or
"transitional glasses" as they now call them here (Toronto). I've never
heard of uploading a picture of myself and put frames on my face to see how
glasses would look, or how I would look with certain glasses. A novel idea.

Mary
Thor
2011-05-11 20:07:09 UTC
Post by Dick Friesen
Post by Thor
[...]
Thanks for the reply.

The zennioptical place seems to be for the entire cake, I am just after the
lenses for my frames. I searched that site and could not find lenses only.

I remember searching a few years ago and there were a good dozen or so places
you could send your glasses to and they would read the prescription from them
and send them back with new lenses with the materiels and features you chose. My
recent search only came up with two.

I am so used to the gloop from google that I forgot to look at their "sponsored
links"

Thor
Sheldon
2011-05-17 06:14:17 UTC
Post by Thor
Post by Dick Friesen
Post by Thor
[...]
I've never tried any of these places, but I do know that the lenses must be
matched to your frames. This is why if you can get out to see an optician
you always pick out the frames first, and then the lenses, with your
prescription, are fitted to the frames. I don't see how you will be able to
get the lenses only without sending your frames out. While waiting, I
usually wear contacts or an old pair of glasses. I can't see the big E on
the eye chart so I know what it's like to be without your glasses.

If you are in a hurry, I know that the one-hour opticians are pretty good
but they can be expensive. Any way you can get a friend to take your
glasses/frames to one of these places and at least get an estimate? Also,
some Wal-Mart and other discount stores have opticians and optical shops on
site. They are pretty cheap. I realize you can't go, but again, maybe a
friend can help you out.
Anna
2011-05-13 23:53:11 UTC
Post by Thor
I am pretty much stuck in my little neighborhood for now, can't get to an eye
doctor.
I need new lenses, my prescription is fine as it is, and am looking at what the
web has to offer. Eyeglasslensdirect.com looks the most promising, about $45 or
so in my particular case.
Does anyone in the group use this type of service? Where do you go and what do
you think about the place you use? I am looking for people who actually use, not
the ones who have heard or read about.
Thor
Thor I get my lenses from an online service of from the local pharmacy
I pay very little for day lenses I am happy with it I also have a pair
of 3 month lenses and all is well

Love from Anna
Mary
2011-05-14 03:52:17 UTC
Post by Anna
Post by Thor
I am pretty much stuck in my little neighborhood for now, can't get to an eye
doctor.
I need new lenses, my prescription is fine as it is, and am looking at what the
web has to offer. Eyeglasslensdirect.com looks the most promising, about $45 or
so in my particular case.
Does anyone in the group use this type of service? Where do you go and what do
you think about the place you use? I am looking for people who actually use, not
the ones who have heard or read about.
Thor
Thor I get my lenses from an online service of from the local pharmacy
I pay very little for day lenses I am happy with it I also have a pair of
3 month lenses and all is well
Anna, I am curious to know what exactly are 3 month lenses? How do you give
the eye doctors prescription to the online pharmacy?

Mary
Thor
2011-05-14 06:09:32 UTC
Post by Mary
Post by Anna
Post by Thor
[...]
I am curious about the 3 month lenses too! Maybe contacts?

Mary, have a look here,
http://www.eyeglasslensdirect.com/Essilor-Airwear-Polycarbonate-p/sv58fscl.htm
This is for polycarbonate single vision lenses. You just fill in the boxes from
your prescription. I am not sure if the pupil distance is on all prescriptions
or not.

Do anyone get the edges of their lenses polished?

My problem is I need to send in my glasses so they can read the prescription
from the lenses.The last time I got new lenses it was hell because they were
saying I need an exam every 2 years, I can't go in for an exam. Those people did
not tell me the prescription. The prescription I have from an opthamologist was
WAY too strong and it got changed by a really good doc that took about an hour
or so of his time to do a good exam. I might have been able to get the
prescription from that doc but he retired like later that week, if I recall
correctly his name was Doctor Doctor.

I think I will call American Optical and ask if they have my prescription on
file and see if they will give it to me, it has been about 6 years since I saw
them.

Thanks for the replies,
Thor
Anna
2011-05-14 14:04:32 UTC
Post by Mary
Post by Anna
Post by Thor
[...]
I believe I made a mistake ? This was not about contact lenses
hehehe

Your chaotic Anna
Mary
2011-05-14 21:09:31 UTC
Post by Anna
Post by Mary
Post by Anna
Post by Thor
[...]
Actually, I wasn't thinking about contact lenses. I have never worn contacts
so don't know anything abuot them.. I thought you meant above that you also
have a pair of 3 months lenses for eye glasses, not contacts. And I wondered
what 3 month lenses was. Still wondering...

Mary
Anna
2011-05-18 14:03:36 UTC
Post by Mary
Actually, I wasn't thinking about contact lenses. I have never worn
contacts so don't know anything abuot them.. I thought you meant above
that you also have a pair of 3 months lenses for eye glasses, not
contacts. And I wondered what 3 month lenses was. Still wondering...
Mary
Hello Mary I wear normal glasses and when I go out I wear contact lenses
You have a choice between day lenses You wear them one day and then
throw them away Or week lenses that you can use one week or month or 3
month lenses These you can wear longer For me the day lenses are very
nice cause you don't have to clean them but just throw them away after a
day.

http://www.lensway.nl/products?search=acuvue&cid=6342&utm_medium=keyword&utm_source=google_lw_nl&gclid=CL7MzN_H8agCFQWFDgodLTZ0EA

Though mine are less expensive :-)

Love from Anna
Mary
2011-05-18 21:32:56 UTC
Post by Anna
Post by Mary
Actually, I wasn't thinking about contact lenses. I have never worn
contacts so don't know anything abuot them.. I thought you meant above
that you also have a pair of 3 months lenses for eye glasses, not
contacts. And I wondered what 3 month lenses was. Still wondering...
Mary
Hello Mary I wear normal glasses and when I go out I wear contact lenses
You have a choice between day lenses You wear them one day and then throw
them away Or week lenses that you can use one week or month or 3 month
lenses These you can wear longer For me the day lenses are very nice cause
you don't have to clean them but just throw them away after a day.
Do you wear glasses and/or contacts for closeup such as reading, and do you
wear glasses and/or contacts for distance?
I wear glasses for closeup and others for driving (distance).
Post by Anna
http://www.lensway.nl/products?search=acuvue&cid=6342&utm_medium=keyword&utm_source=google_lw_nl&gclid=CL7MzN_H8agCFQWFDgodLTZ0EA
Though mine are less expensive :-)
An example of our "throw-away" society :)

They seem expensive just to throw away in a week or even 3 months. wouldn't
it be easier to wear contacts you can use for a couple of years? I don't
know anything about contacts though. The only thing I know is they are often
used by younger people who have problems seeing in the distance, but can
still see well up close such as for reading books or newspapers. The
"regular" person's vision usually goes first for closeup when you get around
45 years old and suddenly can't read very small print such as newspaper and
you find yourself needing a magnifying glass to see anything in the
telephone book. In those cases, it can be several years before distance
glasses for driving or seeing are needed. At least that was my experience
and most people around 45 when I fierst needed glasses and still do or I
would be as blind as a bat :>)

Mary
Anna
2011-05-18 22:39:38 UTC
Post by Mary
[...]
Hello Mary I have glasses since I am 6 years For looking in the
distance. Here in my house I all ways wear my glasses.
I took to lenses when I got some pair with my new glasses It was so
beautiful to see my face without interruption hehe. Yes the lenses
for say one year or even more are much cheaper but also much harder on
my eyes The day lenses are so thin They are very comfortable And since
I don't wear lenses very much ( indoor person including garden ) I buy
them BUT they are much cheaper than in let's say the USA.

Now for the reading part I also have problems with reading.
When I have my glasses I just take them of and than I can read
With my lenses I need reading glasses I bought them for 1,50 euro
hehe. Yes most people begin around 45 Your eyes are very good but your
arms are too short ;-)

Ah the wonders of getting older Teeth - eyes - gravity pulling the body
part to mother earth Isn't is bliss ?

Love from Anna right eye -4.5 left eye - 4.75