Videofluoroscopy
Simon
2011-03-13 07:25:08 UTC
I had my real time X-ray last week. It has a name -
Videofluoroscopy. It seems that my swallowing problems are greater
than I thought. The real problem is with liquids. It is quite
clear that I don't notice that some liquid is getting into my lungs
every time I swallow. This is bad!

I said that I would not see the video until later but it was decided
that it may be useful for me to look at my swallowing in real time
to see if changing "posture" would help. It does a little. So in
the short term I will have to consume liquids at least as thick as
double cream/yoghurt (using a thickener if required). I may not be
totally compliant with such a request ;-)

In the long term it is hoped that I will get greater control with
increased muscle strength so more able with fluids.

Ho-hum. They have now booked me in for an MRI but that is just
routine. I can hardly believe that it is almost a year.

To add to my news the tax man is asking for my arrears which I
dispute that I have to pay (legally, you can have your own moral
thoughts). Now that I have won my benefits appeal they are again
paying my benefits without taking the tax. You would think that
they would learn. I will pay the tax on this later. I can't use
the I didn't know argument now. Though strictly neither can they.

Simon
--
========== Please DELETE this text block when replying! ==========
Contact the moderators at: asapm-***@stump.algebra.com
========= This notice is added to each approved article ==========
_TJ_
2011-03-14 19:51:19 UTC
hi simon, thanks for updating us. i imagine getting liquid into your
lungs must create a risk of pneumonia. it's a good thing to have it
addressed. i'm surprised this can actually happen without causing a
coughing reflex but that shows what i know. good luck with the taxman
as well - i know what a pain that can be since my dad had to fight them
tooth and nail when i was a kid over a large sum of money he didn't owe.
damn them they are relentless gits!

best of luck with everything!! =)
--
_TJ_
Tennessee Tony
2011-03-14 23:51:57 UTC
Post by Simon
[...]
Simon, I can't imagine swallowing liquid and some going into my lungs.
What kind of symptoms was it giving you?
Simon
2011-03-19 04:52:29 UTC
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 17:51:57 CST, Tennessee Tony
Post by Tennessee Tony
Post by Simon
[...]
Except occasionally I felt no symptoms. The therapist however was
sure it was happening hence the videofluoroscopy. The best
explanation for that is the scaring after the surgery. Most of the
scaring is internal, I still have my good looks ;-)

Simon
Mary
2011-03-19 23:15:56 UTC
Post by Tennessee Tony
Simon, I can't imagine swallowing liquid and some going into my lungs.
What kind of symptoms was it giving you?
Except occasionally I felt no symptoms. The therapist however was
sure it was happening hence the videofluoroscopy. The best
explanation for that is the scaring after the surgery. Most of the
scaring is internal, I still have my good looks ;-)
Still having your good looks is good :>)

Mary
Tennessee Tony
2011-03-25 13:28:13 UTC
Post by Tennessee Tony
Post by Simon
[...]
Well I'm glad they found the problem and you are finding thick stuff to
drink. How about milkshakes?!?!!! Yum.

Tony
Simon
2011-03-26 13:22:40 UTC
Post by Tennessee Tony
Post by Simon
[...]
Hi Tony,

Milk shakes are not only permitted but positively encouraged. The
gunk that the NHS provide is in effect a milk shake with oodles of
added fat and sugar! Problem is it is horribly artificial. There
are only so many milk shakes one can consume and still enjoy them
anyway.

I still prefer to actually eat real food but it takes a long time so
I do resort to using the NHS gunk (by tube so that I don't have to
taste it). Getting oral fluids is what I am having to change.

Going back a step the tax man has now put my future tax payments in
order which is good. They are going to recover the unpaid tax on
the arrears in 12 easy payments, LOL. I did offer to send them a
cheque for the whole amount. No news yet about what they thinking
of what to do about the underpaid tax from previous years.

Simon
weeks
2011-03-15 12:26:33 UTC
Hi, Simon,
Never heard of fluid getting into your lungs fro drinking. Hope this can
get this all figured out.
Oh the taxman...ouch!
smiles,
Mary
2011-03-15 21:40:00 UTC
Post by Simon
I had my real time X-ray last week. It has a name -
Videofluoroscopy. It seems that my swallowing problems are greater
than I thought. The real problem is with liquids. It is quite
clear that I don't notice that some liquid is getting into my lungs
every time I swallow. This is bad!
I have never had a videofluoroscopy, but I know what it is. Its a very
beneficial test for swallowing problems and gives a lot of information to
doctors. It can cause problems to get liquid into your lungs when you
swallow. Did the doctor say what can be done about it?
Post by Simon
I said that I would not see the video until later but it was decided
that it may be useful for me to look at my swallowing in real time
to see if changing "posture" would help. It does a little. So in
the short term I will have to consume liquids at least as thick as
double cream/yoghurt (using a thickener if required). I may not be
totally compliant with such a request ;-)
I hope you will be able to stay within the limits advised by your doctors.
Be careful. Its very important not to swallow liquids into your lungs.
Post by Simon
In the long term it is hoped that I will get greater control with
increased muscle strength so more able with fluids.
I hope so.
Post by Simon
Ho-hum. They have now booked me in for an MRI but that is just
routine. I can hardly believe that it is almost a year.
I know what you mean. Time passes too fast for me.
Post by Simon
To add to my news the tax man is asking for my arrears which I
dispute that I have to pay (legally, you can have your own moral
thoughts). Now that I have won my benefits appeal they are again
paying my benefits without taking the tax. You would think that
they would learn. I will pay the tax on this later. I can't use
the I didn't know argument now. Though strictly neither can they.
The tax people always get their money one way or another. They've had a TV
commercial on a few local TV stations here for a few weeks. Someone must
have put on Youtube. Its an ad for H&R Block which is a company who do tax
returns. You might get a laugh out of it. I thought it was funny. The same
company came out with another similar with different actors and its quite
funny too, but its not on Youtube yet.

Mary
Simon
2011-03-19 04:52:30 UTC
Post by Simon
I said that I would not see the video until later but it was decided
that it may be useful for me to look at my swallowing in real time
to see if changing "posture" would help. It does a little. So in
the short term I will have to consume liquids at least as thick as
double cream/yoghurt (using a thickener if required). I may not be
totally compliant with such a request ;-)
I hope you will be able to stay within the limits advised by your doctors.
Be careful. Its very important not to swallow liquids into your lungs.
Well yes, I am not an aquatic being. I have found a brand of "fruit
nectar" which is thicker than normal juice and is very nice. It is
rather like the stuff I get on prescription which does not get into
my lungs, but it tastes nice! I still have to try thick cream in
coffee. Will I like it?
Post by Mary
Post by Simon
In the long term it is hoped that I will get greater control with
increased muscle strength so more able with fluids.
I hope so.
Me too.

[...]

Simon
Mary
2011-03-19 22:44:38 UTC
Post by Simon
Post by Mary
Post by Simon
I had my real time X-ray last week. It has a name -
Videofluoroscopy. It seems that my swallowing problems are greater
than I thought. The real problem is with liquids. It is quite
clear that I don't notice that some liquid is getting into my lungs
every time I swallow. This is bad!
<snip>
Post by Simon
Post by Mary
I hope you will be able to stay within the limits advised by your doctors.
Be careful. Its very important not to swallow liquids into your lungs.
Well yes, I am not an aquatic being. I have found a brand of "fruit
nectar" which is thicker than normal juice and is very nice. It is
rather like the stuff I get on prescription which does not get into
my lungs, but it tastes nice! I still have to try thick cream in
coffee. Will I like it?
You have to do what is safest to keep your lungs clear. Like it or not. >:)

Mary
V*nessa
2011-03-16 08:47:04 UTC
Post by Simon
[...]
Has it really been a year Simon? Wow time flies but you're not having fun :(
Thanks for the update. I can't imagine what it's like having fluid get into
the lungs. Hope it's not dangerous. Hoping things improve for you as your
muscle strength increases.

V :)