Anxiety tip of the week - March 24
V*nessa
2012-03-24 13:17:58 UTC
Ride the wave <<<
I'll explain what this meant to me shortly. I just need to firstly say this
advice was given to me by a pschologist who had anx/pan in this group. At
first I laughed it off as impossible to do, but it has been the best advice.
For me it has been the most powerful technique and has changed my life
around. At first, it was very hard to do but I persisted and it has stopped
panic attacks in their tracks.

'Ride the wave' or 'sit and observe it' involves not feeding the anxiety
monster. Regardless of what has brought on the panic attack this is about
not reacting to it or any rising panic.

Simply watch the panic rise.. think of it as a wave that will soon fade away
as it hits the shore. Don't fight it, the wave is going to come. It is what
it is. Let the panic enter your body and if you are feeling really brave
talk to it. Tell it to do it's worst to you. Laugh at it. "Is that all you
got?" My panic attacks send me into a derealisation episode (world doesn't
exist - twilight zone stuff yuk). So I literally sit down and say this will
be a fun few minutes as I get to space out, knowing it will soon pass if I
don't let it scare me or worry me. Once the fear is taken out, the anxiety
has no fuel left to become a panic attack. The more you worry the more panic
sets in. It's never too late to let the air out of the panic filled balloon.
Even if you forget at the start and you get into panic mode - stop
yourself - then talk to it and say "ha ha thought you got me this time -
wrong, not scared anymore".

I couldn't believe how quickly the anxiety monster retreated. The more I
urged it on, the quicker it faded away. Another wave may have come along but
not as strong as the first and it too would fade away.

When you feel anxiety, and panic about it, you are more likely to make it
more intense and feel worse. Panicking about the panic equates to an even
bigger panic attack. YMMV :)
--
========== Please DELETE this text block when replying! ==========
Contact the moderators at: asapm-***@stump.algebra.com
========= This notice is added to each approved article ==========
Mary
2012-03-24 20:58:22 UTC
Post by V*nessa
Ride the wave <<<
I'll explain what this meant to me shortly. I just need to firstly say
this advice was given to me by a pschologist who had anx/pan in this
group. At first I laughed it off as impossible to do, but it has been the
best advice. For me it has been the most powerful technique and has
changed my life around. At first, it was very hard to do but I persisted
and it has stopped panic attacks in their tracks.
Hi Vanessa, some good tips for anxiety and panic. Good idea to post them
here.

Mary
V*nessa
2012-03-25 13:07:43 UTC
Post by Mary
Post by V*nessa
Ride the wave <<<
I'll explain what this meant to me shortly. I just need to firstly say
this advice was given to me by a pschologist who had anx/pan in this
group. At first I laughed it off as impossible to do, but it has been the
best advice. For me it has been the most powerful technique and has
changed my life around. At first, it was very hard to do but I persisted
and it has stopped panic attacks in their tracks.
Hi Vanessa, some good tips for anxiety and panic. Good idea to post them
here.
Mary
Thanks Mary :)
Even though people don't post much here i suspect there are some lurkers. I
also enjoy just putting some ideas together. I'm fairly busy during the week
so have some spare time to reflect each Saturday.

Tennessee Tony
2012-04-05 02:33:25 UTC
Post by V*nessa
[...]
I believe in "riding the wave" but I can't seem to master it. I know it
works because every time I have a Dr. appointment I want them to see me
during a panic attack, and since I want it it never comes!
Unfortunately I've only been able to do this by accident at the Dr., not
in everyday situations but I still try!

Tono
v***@hotmail.com
2012-04-21 15:42:04 UTC
Post by V*nessa
[...]
Hello Tono :) Sorry for late reply

oh i remember trying to force myself to have a panic attack many a
time but to no avail so agree with you.
it's hard to ride the wave - as i don't always do it well but geez a
good feeling when i can. Keep trying :)
At least it gives you something to focus on.

V :)